Unique Student Identifier (USI)
As of the 1st January 2015 any person who is going to commence or continue to study in a nationally recognised training course must have a USI (Unique Student Identifier)
If you are unsure contact our office and we can help you.
What is a USI?
The USI is a reference number made up of ten numbers and letters that:
- creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, from all training providers you undertake recognised training with
- will give you access to your training records and transcripts
- can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
- is free and easy to create and
- stays with you for life
Who should have a USI and why?
If you are a new or continuing student undertaking nationally recognised training, you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or Statement of Attainment.
Your USI will give you access to an online record of the training you have done since 1 January 2015. You will also be able to produce a comprehensive transcript of your training. This can be used when applying for a job, seeking a credit transfer or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.
What affect does this have?
The reason your USI is important is to ensure that all of your training records are kept together. The USI will be linked to your name as it appears on the form of ID you used to create the USI.
A USI account will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016.
Once you create your USI you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked and you will be able to:
- view and update your details in your USI account;
- give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account;
- give your training organisation view access to your transcript;
- control access to your transcript; and
- view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
How do I get a USI
It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online. Visit the USI website at: usi.gov.au to create your USI.
The personal details entered when you create a USI must match exactly with those on your form of ID.
You will need at least one form of ID. i.e. Driver’s licence, Medicare card, Australian Passport or Birth Certificate plus a valid email address when applying for your USI.
Can I do training without one?
You can undertake nationally recognised training without having a USI, however we will be unable to issue a Statement of Attainment. This means the training you complete may not be recognised within industry.